It takes passion, patience, and planning to run a quality, inclusive, and sustainable intramural program and build an intramural culture that will grow year after year. Whether you are a veteran of intramurals or are just getting started, Ophea’s Raise the Bar Intramural Program contains everything you need to help plan and run quality intramurals that are student-focused, inclusive, and fun. This program will help you maximize physical activity participation for all students in your school community. Ophea’s Raise the Bar Intramural Program includes strategies on how to create a safe and inclusive environment that fosters a sense of belonging and helps students develop their social skills, co-operation, teamwork, leadership, physical literacy, and overall health. This program provides an easy-to-follow 4-step process to guide you every step of the way and sample activities to get you started and add variety to your program. Access your personal Dashboard to keep your planning on track, monitor your success, and become recognized as one of Ophea’s Intramural Participation Schools.
Ophea wishes to acknowledge the contribution of the many stakeholders who participated in the development of the Raise the Bar Intramural Program.
In particular, Ophea also wishes to acknowledge the following individuals and organizations for their contributions to the program:
Writing and Contributor Team:
- Joanne Walsh, Lead Writer, former Health & Physical Education Coordinator, Halton District School Board
- Kathy Doherty-Masters, Writing Team Member, Healthy Active Living Consultant, formerly Waterloo Catholic District School Board
- Steve Friesen, Writing Team Member and Raise the Bar Consultant, former Health & Physical Education Department Head, Wellington Catholic District School Board
- Dave Inglis, Writing Team Member, Guidance Counsellor, Teacher: Health & Physical Education, and Associate Athletic Director, Thames Valley District School Board
- Karen Trotter, Writing Team Member, Educator and Student Health and Well-being Consultant K-12, Conseil scolaire catholique Providence
- Jen Powles, Contributor Team Member, Health & Physical Education Educator, Trinity College School
- Tanya Woods, Contributor Team Member, Instructional Program Leader K-8 Health & Physical Education, Halton District School Board
- Canadian Women & Sport (formerly known as the Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical Activity (CAAWS))
- Canadian Centre for Gender and Sexual Diversity (CCGSD)
- CIRA -Ontario
- Students Commission of Canada
Every effort has been made to trace the owners of the copyrighted materials and to make due acknowledgement. If situations are identified where this has not been achieved, please notify Ophea so appropriate corrective action can be taken.
This resource is provided for general information purposes only. For further information, individuals are advised to seek the advice of a physician or other healthcare professional. Funding for the development of this resource was provided by the Government of Ontario. The views expressed in this resource are those of Ophea and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Government of Ontario.
Please note that the Raise the Bar Intramural Program should be adapted, as necessary, to ensure compliance with current public health recommendations on COVID-19 as well as school board policies and procedures.
© 2020 Ophea. All rights reserved. Limited duplication for personal use is acceptable, without permission, provided suitable credit is given.